Grade 3/4 Price Class Blog

The First Fleet

Filed under: Uncategorized — classprice at 3:23 pm on Wednesday, August 1, 2012

We have spent the last few weeks studying and researching The First Fleet that sailed to Australia in 1787 and arrived in 1788. Share with us some interesting facts or information that you know about the First Fleet or early settlement in Australia.

25 Comments

1.    sabastian — August 1, 2012 @ 8:17 pm   

Hello Class,

I have loved working on the First Fleet. I have learn’t so much from when they left and who was the captain and who led the First Fleet. I think that it is important for kids to know about the First Fleet because it’s the start of our Australian history. The thing I found most interesting was that we could of been Spanish or French if there were no convicts.

From Sabastian

2.    Lucy — August 2, 2012 @ 8:59 am   

Hello class,

Did you know that there were 764 convicts on the ships that sailed on the First Fleet?
    One of the ships that sailed in the First Fleet was called Friendship.

From Lucy

3.    Thomas — August 2, 2012 @ 1:29 pm   

Hi class

I know lots of things about the First Fleet! Some things that I know about the First Fleet but I really want to know why they wore that prisnor clothing, why the judges wore those funny wigs and what they were called.
    Any answers?

From Thomas

•    sabastian — August 2, 2012 @ 8:35 pm   

G’day Thomas,

I have no idea what those funny curly wigs were called but you could try Google or Wikipedia.

From Sabastian

4.    angus — August 2, 2012 @ 2:22 pm   

Hello class

I have learnt many things like how many boats there were and what the captains name is. There are 11 ships in the First Fleet and the captain of the First Fleet was captain Arthur Phillip.

From
    Angus

5.    Jacob Q — August 2, 2012 @ 2:23 pm   

Hello class,

I found out that the convicts wore yellow and black with black arrows and I would hate to be a convict.

From Jacob Q

6.    hugo — August 2, 2012 @ 2:25 pm   

Hi Mr Price,

Did you know that 1487 people went on the First Fleet.
    Do you know any facts?

From Hugo.

7.    harry p — August 2, 2012 @ 2:26 pm   

G,day class
    I learned lot about the First Fleet. I learned that the convicts had to wear black and yellow on their shirts and arrows. And the First Fleet had horses on deck.

From Harry P

8.    ben — August 2, 2012 @ 2:30 pm   

Hi class,

I loved working on the First Fleet but I just can’t get over how harsh the punishments were.

From
    Ben

9.    Sam — August 2, 2012 @ 2:33 pm   

Hi class,

Did you know that there was 10 cilil officiers, 212 marines, including officiers, additioal 28 wives, 17 children, 81 free setelers, 504 male convicts, 192 female convicts witch eqels all to gether 1,044.

From Sam

10.    james — August 2, 2012 @ 2:34 pm   

Hi class

I have liked working on the First Fleet. I think it was really harsh in England back in the olden days. I know some of the ships names here they are: Alexander, Barrowdale, Charlotte, Fishburn and Friendship. Do you know how many free settlers there were?
    From James

11.    Elizabeth — August 2, 2012 @ 2:36 pm   

Hello class

I studied the First Fleet last year it is a really interesting subject. Did you know that 6 children were born on the First Fleet and only four of them survived. I wonder if anyone deliberatly jumped off the boat?

From Elizabeth

12.    Eliza — August 2, 2012 @ 2:36 pm   

Hello class

I love learning about the First Fleet
    because it’s interesting and I like learning about
    history. There were 11 ships in the First Fleet.

From Eliza

13.    Amy — August 2, 2012 @ 2:40 pm   

Hello Class

In the First Fleet there were 11 ships.

Convict uniforms are black and yellow with arrows.

The ships are Alexander, Charlotte, Borrowdale, Fishburn, Friendship, Golden Grove, Lady Pehrhyn, Prince of Wales, Scarborough, HMS Supply and HMS Sirius.

Lady Pehrhyn only carried females.

Does everyone enjoy learning about the First Fleet? What did you enjoy the most?

From Amy

•    Emily — August 7, 2012 @ 7:47 pm   

Hello Amy

I really liked learning about the First Fleet. I think I liked making the projects most of all. I really liked choosing the convicts I would liked to pardon if I was the governor.
      If you were the governor where would you place the settlement? Would you choose Australia or would you choose somewhere closer to England?

From Emily

14.    Tom — August 2, 2012 @ 2:42 pm   

Hi class,
    I think that the First Fleet is very interesting because every website has a different answer on how many convicts there were. More than half of the people on the eleven ships were convicts and 23% were free settlers and 25% were soldiers.
    Do you know how many convicts died on the way?

From
    Tom

15.    jordyn — August 2, 2012 @ 2:45 pm   

Hello Class,
    The First Fleet is an amazing piece of history to know that if the English didn’t come that we wouldn’t be around or we probably wouldn’t be speaking English.
    I never wish to be one of those people. It would be horrible you could be dying on the street with no one caring.

From

Jordyn

16.    Ashleigh — August 2, 2012 @ 2:46 pm   

Hello class,

I loved working on the First Fleet because I learnt lots of things that I had not one clue about. One thing I learnt about was that the reason why all the convicts came to Australia was because the jails were over flowing.

From Ashleigh

17.    Jessica — August 2, 2012 @ 2:46 pm   

Hello class,

Jaime and I have studied the First Fleet together.
    Life was horrible back then.
    I wonder why they prisoned children that were six years old and only warned someone that they were going to get caught!? It was horrible.

From Jessica.

18.    Miss W. — August 3, 2012 @ 9:15 am   

G’day Mr Price and students,

Did you know that August is family history month? Have you ever tried to find out about your ancestors?

I did as part of a school project many years ago and I have 8 convicts so far in my family but none of them were in the First Fleet though.

Do you have any relatives who took part in the First or Second World Wars? There are online databases you can use to find out but first you would need to know the names of your relatives from that far back.

Keep loving history .. it is here that we learn from our mistakes and hopefully improve our lives.

•    Elizabeth — August 7, 2012 @ 8:55 am   

Hello Miss W.

I have got 1 convict in my family but he was not on the First Fleet. He was called John and he was sent to Tasmania.

I also have a relative in the 2nd World War he was called Walter.

From Elizabeth

19.    Emily — August 6, 2012 @ 9:02 am   

Hello class

I really liked learning about the First Fleet. I learnt that there were approximately 1487 people sailing the First Fleet. There were 759 convicts, 13 convict children, 206 marines with family members, 20 officials, 210 seamen of the Royal Navy and 233 merchant seamen.

From Emily

20.    Maddy — August 8, 2012 @ 8:55 am   

Hi everyone
    I learned lots about the First Fleet, like they put some convicts in hulks which are floating prisons and old war boats and that they used to send them to America. But then they had a war so they sent them to Australia when Joseph Banks came up with the idea to send them here.

From Maddy

21.    jessica — August 8, 2012 @ 9:06 am   

Hello class,

Once England sent their convicts to America but after the War of Independence England had to find somewhere else to send their convicts because the jails were overcrowded.
    From Jessica

22.    fraudew — December 31, 2012 @ 5:08 pm   

Hallo 3/4 class. I enjoyed reading about your Frirst fleet history lessons in your blog. I am a teacher from South Australia and my class weiil be doing that topic when we get back to school next year. What sources did you use for your research and how did you find them?
    You may want to check out our class blog from 2012
    fraudew.edublog.org

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

© 2014 Grade 3/4 Price Class Blog   Provided by WPMU DEV -The WordPress Experts   Hosted by Edublogs